Thursday, April 26, 2012

Mazeppa's gem


Mazeppa Gem-

A few ladies stayed up late the night before peeling potatoes for the tasty scalloped potatoes - burning the midnight oil as one could say. Others spent time adding finishing touches on the 14 cold salads, two hot dishes and 11 desserts available. To wet your whistle, coffee, milk, lemonade or water was served. Two plates were provided for the hot and cold dishes. No duplications - nice planned! Definitely all diets off today!

St. John's is hidden behind Main Street up a hill a couple blocks on Second Street. For me, it seems fitting to start my blog here because my mom was baptized and raised here, while her parents (my grandparents) attended this church for many years.

As impressive as the food selection was downstairs, an Easter lily 'tree' upstairs lit up the front sanctuary. They were staggered upwards in a shape of a tree and the daunting lily smell rivaled the food downstairs. The church holds about 100. It was appropriate that prior to the luncheon, I quickly hit a garage sale just behind the church and purchased a homemade Noah's Ark basket. From there I quickly selected a pecan pie from the bake sale, so my husband can feel he experienced the day, too!

After spooning up a sample of each salad and pushing aside others for room on my plate, I sat next to a delightful group of women from Lake City, Red Wing and Pine Island. A couple women knew some of my relatives from the area, so I get in genealogy whenever I can. The weather was 65 degrees and the doors to the church were wide open, inviting the town to come on down and share in the day.

My favorite food was a green bean salad that had eggs, onions and celery mixed amongst the sauce. I have a feeling I'm going to come across many great foods that have never crossed my palate. Even my family favorite three bean salad was offered up.

The women of the church have been hosting the luncheon for 10 years. One worker said they had a turkey dinner, with mashed potatoes, etc, but had to discontinue it last fall, "because we just can't get enough people to help out."

Best quip of the day: "I love coming to these meals, not only because they are reasonable and delicious, but I don't have to leave a tip."

Next up: Chicken Pie Dinner in Wykoff: Wednesday, April 25.

No comments:

Post a Comment