Thursday, April 26, 2012

Do you love church socials? So do I!

Experiencing Minnesota's church cuisine-


There is no better meal than one served at church functions. Period.


I like food. I like traveling the countryside. I like the people that feel their mission is important to carry on. I like taking a step back in time, sampling regional recipes and touring the little churches that year-after-year continue fueling the Christian heart (and stomachs).


My goal with this blog is to attend Minnesota church luncheons/dinners regularly, share their incredibly tasty, generous and reasonably priced menus as well as a little history, chats with attendees and future functions. (It's a hard job, but I can handle it!) These functions are disappearing fast as the 'greatest generation' is: today's young population doesn't have the time or doesn't take the time to carry on these wonderful traditions. And, no story is the same.


If the food preparers feel like they want to give up a treasured recipe, I will share it with you. Everyone needs more recipes - my kids have alphabetized recipes I've jotted down or grabbed from someone over the last 28 years. My cupboards are filled with my, my mom's, my grandma's, my family's, my friends recipes. Not a bad one in the bunch.


It is a genuine joy to meet new people, share a meal and some words, travel to new destinations and tell the story of little churches around Minnesota. I hope you enjoy it.


Get out there and explore Minnesota's church cuisines - the potlucks, dinners, luncheons, festivals, feeds, barbecues, etc. Someone nearby has one. Take time to meet the people who go or put them on, they will remind you of someone in your life. Step back and relax, enjoy the scrumptious food and fellowship. You'll soon understand why these traditions are the root of all our Minnesota heritages.

No comments:

Post a Comment